And now for the nerdy portion of this post: the graphs! As a climate data analyst by profession, looking at loads of data and trends is my bread and butter. I love seeing how my trends have changed since having Constance.
First, here's a graph of the last week of readings. You can even see here how my variations get smaller towards the right side of the graph.
Weekly BG readings from 21-27 July 2010. (These pictures may appear small in the post, so click on them to get a bigger, nerdier view.)
The next graph I have found to be the most valuable. It is my average BG readings per hour. I used this graph and the numbers to alter my basals. I'm trying not make a lot of changes at one time, so the only thing I changed for now is I upped my sleeping basal to bring down my average of 160-180 mg/dL (ewww!). I also added a lower basal from 4:00-9:00 PM because I've noticed that I go low due to increased activity.
Hourly averages for the last 2 weeks.
And here is the table with that plot along with all the statistical information you'd ever want:
So that's the gist of using a CGM in the numbers. I've found it to be an incredibly invaluable tool, and I look forward to more improvements in my numbers over the next several months. However, one hurdle I'm still getting used to is keeping the sensor actually on for a full week. I've ended up using so much medical tape that I look like I got shot and there's this probe sticking out. A diabetic coworker of Trey's gave him some Tegardem for me to try. I put it on after I changed my sensor last night, and it seems to be working so far. It's basically a clear adhesive that keeps the tape and sensor encased in this kitchen-clear-wrap-type material. We'll see how it holds up during the week, but I definitely think this will come in handy for our beach trip in September to keep the salt water out of my tape.
This thing ain't going nowhere!