Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Perception is Art: Diabetes Art Day

For Diabetes Art Day, I decided to take the somewhat easy way out, but still profound.  If I could, I wish I had diabetes glasses for non-D folks to wear whenever we encounter something diabetes-related in our daily life (which is pretty much everything).  Since I was diagnosed as a young adult, I have the privilege of remembering what it was like to simply go through a day without thinking anything diabetes.  My mind was carefree(ish) and (mostly) silent.  Now, I wish I could shut my mind off or at least hit the MUTE button.  See examples below:

What a normal person sees:  

"Time to brush my teeth."  

What a diabetic person sees:  

"I better brush my teeth because good oral hygiene is essential to good diabetes manag . . . oh crap . . . I'm going low.  *sigh*  I'll brush after I've eaten some glucose tabs." 
    
What a normal person sees:  

"Oh, look at that, a yummy slice of pizza."

What a diabetic person sees: 

"OK, so this is a pretty big piece of pizza.  I better bolus 3 units for it, but I'm kind of hungry so maybe I'll have two slices.  So, 6 units total with a 40/60 dual wave bolus extending the square bolus over 6 hours.  I hope that doesn't send me low later, though.  That's OK, I have a full jar of glucose tabs in my purse."
What a normal person sees:  


"Such a nice day for a workout.  iPod and water bottle in hand, that's all I need."  
What a diabetic person sees:  

"I've already turned my basal down to 25% when I got here to the gym and got dressed.  Was that enough time before getting on this thing?  Wonder if anyone knows how to use a glucagon kit if I pass out.  I have my meter, CGM, bottle of Gatorade if I get low, bottle of water for hydration, and I have my iPod but I forgot my earplugs!"
 What a normal person sees:  




"Oh, there's my keys.  Let's go!"  
What a diabetic person sees:  


"I better test before I start driving." 


What a normal person sees:  

"Oooooooooh, yummy!"  

What a diabetic person sees:  

"Ohhhhhhhh, don't even go there!" 

What a normal person sees:  

"Oh cool!  Look at that Shuttle!" 
  
What a diabetic person sees:  

"Wow, even with diabetes, she aims for the stars." 

13 comments:

  1. Haha... love this. The pizza and cupcake ones tickled me the most...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job Holly! I love the comparisons between "normal" people and us, I'm glad someone else wants to put their brain on mute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly- first time poster but I have been following your blog for at least month. It's great!
    Just wanted to say how much I liked this post- very cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I love the pizza and treadmill the most! So TRUE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, fantastic! My kid and I chuckled along with every D-goggle comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I am sooo like this with each scenario! Nice work, Holly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the perspective you're able to give. It's so true. Almost nothing in our days goes by without thought...food, exercise, activities, dreams, discussions...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visual expression is visual expression, right? ;) I enjoyed that, and needless to say, totally related. Although, I'm intrigued by this idea of giving d-glasses to a non-d person so they can see things like we do. I might have to create some of these for my next art project. OK, so they wouldn't be as functional as I'd like, but trust me, they'd be damn stylish.

    Thanks for jumping into Diabetes Art Day, and helping to make it so successful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job. I wouldn't say that was the easy way out at all. Very creative and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.