So 2010 is coming to an end. I have thought about all the things that have happened this year, and there's been enough to make even a normal person go "Whew!" I'm also thinking about what I have planned for 2011, diabetes-wise and not. I'm also extremely scattered brained from coming down from the holidays and all the food, so my 2010-ending post will be a year-recapping meme.
1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Ummm, help remodel a house! I mainly helped in the clean-up process, but I also learned how to tape, mainly trim, and apply painter's tape.
2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions from last year and will you make any for 2011?
I don't think I made any concrete ones for this year, but I am planning some for 2011 like reading the Bible in one year and creating my own D365 photo set.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I had a lot of friends give birth this year, but no one in my family.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I knew personally, but I always get sad when another T1 dies regardless if I knew them or not.
5. What countries did you visit?
LOL, no countries, but I did go to Colorado and Florida for vacations
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I honestly can't think of anything that I truly need that I didn't have in 2010, guess I'm blessed.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory...and why?
January 25, 2010, the day we closed on the house.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Traveling down to KSC for my job and seeing the Shuttle in person. It was so surreal and I reflected on how much I had come in my education/career.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Never fail, just keep trying. ;-)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I'm still getting over a cold, but other than that just the usual cuts and bruises from my own clumsiness.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably my Dexcom CGM. OK, insurance bought most of it, but I'm making the quarterly copayments for the sensors.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I definitely have to Kerri because of her post from yesterday. Her real perspective of being an adult with type 1 diabetes is so refreshing because it's not all good all the time. But it's something we can all relate to, and I appreciate anyone who keeps a raw perspective about this beautiful mess called life.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There's always the groups of people who continue to display their ignorance about diabetes, but it's become so commonplace that I don't feel appalled anymore.
14. Where did most of your money go?
House stuff, house stuff, and more house stuff.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My CGM, I freakin' cried when I heard that my insurance would cover 90% of it.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I don't know about all of 2010, but I'm really digging "Avalanche" by Manafest.
17. Compared to last year, are you...
...happier/sadder? much happier
...thinner/fatter? truthfully, fatter, but by like 5 or 6 lbs, meh.
...richer/poorer? both, poorer because of house, but richer from the investment.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Ride my bike. I really missed it.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Stressing, I feel like I didn't sit down enough and relax this year.
20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
Shooting fireworks and hanging out with our marriage mentors and their family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I always fall in love with my husband again and again and again. ;-)
22. How many one-night stands?
Ummm, this meme knows I'm married, right?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
I must confess, Teen Mom, I was totally addicted to that trashy show.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I didn't hate anyone last year, and I don't hate anyone now.
25. What was the best book you read in 2010?
The two books I read were Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil and The Devil in the White City. Between those two, I liked Midnight more, but I've heard that Leo DiCaprio is making a movie of Devil, and that excites me!
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
My favorite band of this year was definitely Skillet.
27. What did you want AND get?
28. What did you want and NOT get?
If there was anything, I can't remember, so it must not have been that important.
29. What was your favorite film of the year?
I can't remember all the ones I saw, but the first one I thought of was Eclipse.
30. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
On my actual birthday, I went straight home from work to avoid the rain, and hung out watching movies on Netflix, I am 26-years-old.
31. What ONE thing would have made your year immensely more satisfying?
Getting to meet more people from the DOC in person.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Slowly transitioning from poor grad student to young professional.
33. What kept you sane?
My husband, but he always keeps me sane.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I kind of developed a crush on Eddie Izzard, which is weird since he's an executive transvestite.
35. What political issues stirred you the most?
The main one that stirred me was a local law saying all dogs deemed "dangerous" needed to be leashed or fenced. I don't like knowing the government is defining "dangerous" and how they're going to implement it.
36. Whom did you miss?
A certain gal pal in Denver. ;-)
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Everyone in the DOC. Seriously, y'all are the best.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson that you learned in 2010.
It really doesn't help to stress, it's better to either tackle the problem and if you can't, let it be.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
From "More Like Falling in Love" by Jason Gray, "Cause all religion ever made of me was just a sinner with a stone tied to my fee." I've been really reflecting on this song because I've been wanting my faith to be more real in my life, not just Sundays.
So if you're feeling burnt out from the holidays and all the food, take this meme to finish out 2010!
DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.