Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, June 4, 2010

30 Things About My Invisible Illness

30 Things About My Invisible Illness.

Instead of a Friday Five, I decided to do a meme (because 30 is better than 5, right?).  I stole this from Kerri when she did this meme during Invisible Illness Week. 

   1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes, also known as Juvenile Diabetes
   2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2006
   3. But I had symptoms since: Thanksgivingish 2006
   4. The biggest adjustment I've had to make is: always making sure to test my blood sugar
   5. Most people assume: that I did something to get this disease like eating too much sugar
   6. The hardest part about mornings are: actually waking up, I need to deactivate the snooze button 
   7. My favorite medical TV show is: House
   8. A gadget I couldn't live without is: my insulin pump, Arnold
   9. The hardest part about nights are:  trying to get an in-range number and worrying about going low
  10. Each day I take: generic Prilosec and vitamins
  11. Regarding alternative treatments: I've heard of some people taking Metformin to increase insulin sensitivity, but insulin is still required
  12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Invisible, less staring
  13. Regarding working and career: I work as an environmental engineer, I like it
  14. People would be surprised to know: insulin smells like bandaids
  15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: it wasn't really that hard to accept, I had a lot of good support
  16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: make delicious meals that are not so bad and are diabetes-friendly
  17. The commercials about my illness: involve Diabeetus guy (and cat?)
  18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: getting a glass of McAlister's Sweet Tea and just going to town!
  19. It was really hard to have to give up: see #18
  20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: hehe, blogging?
  21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: work out without worrying about going low
  22. My illness has taught me: to be patient, everyday is different
  23. One thing people say that gets under my skin is:  "Should you be eating that?"  "No, actually, I'm committing suicide." *rolls eyes*
  24. But I love it when people: try to make meals that are "diabetic friendly", it's not necessary, but they make a sacrifice for their meal, and I appreciate it
  25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of it's own."  Matthew 6:34 and so, so true
  26. When someone is diagnosed I'd like to tell them: I won't say anything. I'll just give them ((hugs)).
  27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: it's a lot of work, and the pay sucks!
  28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn't feeling well was: gave me a trash can (thanks, babe!) sorry, TMI but true 
  29. I'm involved with Invisible Illness Week because: Ummm, this was a copy, but I will be next time!
  30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: makes me feel loved, seriously, I love this community

Have a great weekend!  =)

1 comment:

  1. (((hugs))) And we all love you!! I like number 25. That is very true. :)

    I also hate when people say "should you be eating that??" Or back at my work they wouldn't say anything, just slap my hand as I'm trying to get something. Rude!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.