Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, March 2, 2012

Settling Out

  by Arnold_and_Me
I like this view.
Thanks to some recommendations that I received on my last post, this last week of blood sugar management has been a lot better. In fact, I went a whole day without crossing my high threshold on my Dexcom (160 mg/dL). So I want to thank everyone who offered great advice or simply said, "It's OK. You can do this."

The main suggestion that I'm following is keeping my old site in even after I put in a new one. I take the cap from my new site packaging, put it on the old one, and keep it on there for at least 12 hours. Ideally, I would like to change my site before bedtime to give it the most time to get "wet" before I try to bolus for a meal. But of course the units don't always line up that way. I have succumbed to giving myself injections when I have to change my site right before a meal, but I'm weary of doing this because I really like the "Active Insulin" feature on my pump. I like knowing how many units I have on top of my basal rates, especially before I go to bed. Because despite the huge amounts of insulin I'm taking compared to pre-pregnancy, I still struggle with nighttime lows.

Speaking of basal rates, I'm currently streaming over 32 units/day (my pre-pregnancy rate was 18 units/day). It seems I need a good increase in my rates at least once a week. So I've been increasing my rates by the lowest amount (0.05 units/hour) every 3 days. Combined with my current insulin:carb ratio that is set at 1:6, I'm going through cartridges every three days or less. I've learned to keep a site change set with me at all times because I tend to forget about it until I get my "Low Reservoir" warning, which doesn't leave me much time to cruise on the units I have left. I expect these increases to continue until the last month of my pregnancy, based on what I've read from other type 1 pregnancies.

On the regular pregnancy front (as if there is such a thing), I am getting bigger and definitely more uncomfortable. As of this morning, I broke the 25-lb. threshold from my pre-pregnancy weight. I told myself in the beginning that I wouldn't worry about the number as long as I and baby are healthy, but it is really hard to see that number (and to think about losing it all later, eesh). I have to sleep with a body hug pillow every night to ease the middle-of-the-night cramps that have plagued me for the past few weeks.  Also, I believe I felt my first Braxton-Hicks contraction last weekend. It wasn't painful or uncomfortable, but I definitely noticed it. I've got another appointment on Monday for my 28-week checkup that will include another ultrasound. And I'm very excited about this appointment because it's been 10 weeks since I've gotten a look at our little girl. After this appointment, I'll start going every 2 weeks. So I need to restock my Nook for all that time I'll spend in the waiting room.

I'm officially in the third trimester now. The home stretch, the light at the end of the tunnel, the final lap, etc. I'm getting less freaked out about this whole pregnancy thing, and more freaked out about the whole parenting thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.