Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

No Hitter

A "no-hitter" as defined by Wikipedia: 

A no-hitter (also known as a no-hit game) is a baseball game in which one team has no hits. In Major League Baseball, the team must be without hits during the entire game, and the game must be at least nine innings. A pitcher who prevents the opposing team from achieving a hit is said to have "thrown a no-hitter".


A "no-hitter" as defined by Holly, the diabetic:

A no-hitter (also known as a streamline) is a time period in which a diabetic does not hit their high or low threshold on their CGM. For a Dexcom user, they must be without any alarms during the entire day, and the day must be at least 24 hours. A diabetic who prevents their blood sugars from reaching a threshold is said to have "bolused a no-hitter".

Ever since I got started with Constance, it has become a little game for me to achieve a perfect 24-hour graph line where I don't hit my high or low threshold.  The closest I've come is getting to 12 hours, maybe 15 or so, but not a complete 24 hour graph.   I know my CGM is supposed to my a long-term diabetes tool, but the competitive side of me is trying win this "game". 

The other night I had made the ultimate no-hitter faux paus, I talked about it.  I was looking at my graph and told Trey, "Wow, I've gone 11 hours without an alarm.  Maybe I can get my no-hitter."  Then, not 30 minutes later, I get a low alarm of 68 mg/dL.  "Dangit!  I knew I shouldn't have said anything." 

This is definitely NOT a no-hitter.  

I have often thought about eating extremely low carb and not doing much activity in order to achieve my no-hitter graph, but that would be cheating.  It would be like purposefully walking the best hitter on the opposing team so they wouldn't get a hit.  I don't want to do it that way.  I want my no-hitter to be the result of managing MY diabetes, and MY diabetes includes pizza (the ultimate MVP batter), working around the house, and playing softball.  I want my no-hitter to be in the World Series of diabetes.  (And I bet you would like another anology by now.)  

12 comments:

  1. Ha! I'm imagining you lying very still and eating salad all day, determined to get that no-hitter at any cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the EXACT same way! It's like I HAVE to get a perfect game - Diabetes-0, Me-300 (avg times the Dex updates during the day)is my goal. I ALLLLLMMOST had it the other day, but one meal blew that out the water. Good luck! I'm in the stands rootin' for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha! Hilarious! I love the thought of calling it a "no hitter." Great baseball analogies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to factor in the umpire, you could be on your way to a perfect game but an ump can pull an Armando Galarraga on you. The Dexcom equivalent would be a false high/low alarm. The blood glucose test says you're still in range despite some CGM shenanigans.

    Oh! What about fan interference? Or a rain delay? I think I'm expanding this a bit too much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Chris: LOL! I have wondered how to handle those rogue data points that I know are off track. I haven't looked into it, but is there a way to get rid of data like that in the software? I do it all the time for my job--quality control processes and such. Darn umpires, always getting in the way.

    Fan interference and rain delay? Hmmm . . . Fan interference = my husband getting a hold of the receiver and randomly pushing buttons (it's happened). Rain delay = too many "???" to successfully have a full "game". Hoozah! I can go all day! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you want more?

    Hitting for the cycle: 4 tests within 5-10 points of each other (Meter and Dexcom). At least 3 hours apart.

    Double Header: During calibration, blood glucose tests from opposite hands are exactly the same.

    7th Inning Stretch/(Batting Practice?): Warm-up period for a new sensor.

    I think I'm reaching a bit, but this has some serious potential. What about Extra Innings?

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL! This is great! =D

    Extra innings is easy = having a sensor go significantly beyond day 7, like 10-14 days. =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. All-Star Game: No high/low alarms from anyone at a meet-up. Can be as few as 2 people or another Roche-like gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rookie = first-time Dexcom user

    Stealing = catching a spike before the HIGH alarm goes off

    Bunt = correction bolus (not really a Dexcom thing but work with me, eh?)

    Grounder = multiple lows in a row, usually resulting in a perfect correction (Out!) or over-correction (over thrown ball resulting in another base)

    Wild pitch = forgetting to bolus for a meal, woops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome. The Dex my daughter used is Alfred. Alfred needs a no hitter. Heck a few hitter would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an awesome analogy!!! Sadly, my no hitters are usually sidelined by lows. I'm going to start keeping track though, and see if I can manage a no hitter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! I'm going to try for a no-hitter, too. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.