Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, March 28, 2011

Hardware Department

I've had my trusty insulin pump Arnold for about 3.5 years now. But about 3 years ago, I noticed that changing the AAA battery out became quite a physical feat. You see, the general directions state that you can use a nickel or a quarter to open the battery cap. However, that little booger would not budge no matter how hard I pushed with George Washington's little head.

So I eventually had to use a flat-head screwdriver to open my battery cap. This works pretty well, except my battery cap gets more stripped each time I change my battery. I keep wondering if I'm ever going to get to a point where I will never be able to open the battery cap and will have to order a new pump, but I always get it open somehow.

Until recently.

This past Saturday, after a rainy day spent indoors cleaning the house, I was applying some lotion after drying out my hands with cleaning solution. When all of a sudden, "BOOP-BEEP-BOOP!" "Huh?! I should have plenty of insulin," I thought. I look down at Arnold and saw the empty batter symbol and "Low Battery" lit up by a green backlight. "Fantastic!" Nothing like trying to open a stubborn battery cap with a screwdriver with lotiony hands. It's like trying to put a cat covered in butter into a bath. Impossible!

After several attempts to open the battery cap, nothing was budging. Of course, my mind immediately goes to, "OMG, I can't get it open! I am going to die! Or at least have to give myself a shot every 2 hours until Monday because I don't have a prescription for Lantus!" I was freaking out . . . a little.

I run out to the garage where Trey was working on one of our cars with black, oil-stained hands. "HELP!" I said, holding my pump in one hand and the screwdriver in the other. "My hands aren't clean," he said. "I don't care. I can't get it open because I have lotion on my hands and I'm freaking out . . . a little." So he takes my pump and unscrews my battery cap while I held the new battery in my hand. He puts the new battery in, screws the lid down, and the screen comes back to life. "Thanks," I said, sighing at the same time. He smirks at me, knowing I was freaking out over something so simple, or to him at least.

Day 85 by Arnold_and_Me
Screwy insulin pump.

I do this every time it takes more than 2 attempts to change my battery. I am easily convinced that my life will end because I can never open it. I just need to keep in mind that I have the ultimate Hardware Department just a "Honey . . . " call away. Or maybe I'll just forgo the lotion next time.

3 comments:

  1. I was using a bottle opener at the end of my pump's life. I think they can send you just a new battery cap... Either way they need to change these caps haha. They always die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to change my battery cap every year for this very reason. Might be worth it to call for a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain on this!! Why don't they make it a metal top? Maybe it would interfere with battery? Ehhhh I'm not good with that stuff, but they really should come up with a better material for the cap!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.