Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Sick.

I'm currently getting over a sinus infection that has whipped my whiney for the past 3 days.  It all started Sunday when I woke up with a sore throat that wouldn't go away.  "No biggie," I thought.  I just drank some tea trying to soothe it away.  Well, the soreness lead to a cough that lasted all night long.  I finally gave in and drank some cold/flu daytime liquid stuff at around 5:00 AM yesterday morning.  The problem with this is the cough syrup is loaded with sugar, so when I woke up again at 9:00 AM, I was well in the upper 200s. 

I switched to the pill version of the same type of medicine, but it still sent my blood sugar soaring the rest of the day.  I didn't realize that even pill versions of the cough syrup would still have sugar in it.  So, in combination with drinking tea and blowing my nose away, I was also combatting high blood sugars all afternoon.  I finally set a temporary basal of 200% for 2 hours before bed.  This seemed to help bring me down, but I never crashed (thank goodness!).  I was still a little high all night (~140 mg/dL), but nothing compared to the 300s I was battling earlier. 

I'm feeling a little better this morning, but I'm still battling the highs associated with the sinus pills.  It's so frustrating to feel like I have to choose between good blood sugars or avoiding feeling like a helium-filled balloon from the sinus infection.  Since I am feeling better, I'm going to try to delay taking another pill until I feel like I need to and try to get by with tea and sugar-free cough drops.  I usually get one bad sinus infection a year that paralyzes me to the couch or bed all day, so I'm not worried about getting over this crud. 

However, one thing I'm quite proud of is I didn't get (very) frustrated with the fact that I was having constant high blood sugars.  I know it's not my fault, it's diabetes.  I didn't yell, I didn't throw Constance across the room when she kept BEEEEEEPing at me that I was HIGH, and I didn't curse each time I had to go to the bathroom between the tea and water I was chugging all day long.  I just tested, corrected, and went about my day.  I know a few bad days won't ruin a stellar A1c, and I am sick--I should be expecting SOME high readings.  But I'd still rather not deal with this at all; sinus infections suck, diabetes or not. 


My cough drop choice:  sugar-free kiwi apple! 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon! When I am sick, I use Coricidin. It doesn't raise my blood sugars at all. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap, I hadn't even thought about the blood sugar ramifications of cold medicine!! Thanks for posting this and I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling better today.

    Sugar free kiwi apple??????? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sudafed & Mucinex are my go-to meds when I've got sinus issues. I hope you're feeling better for the holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.