Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Five: A Diabetes Meme

I know, this isn't technically five, but I'm feeling memed and this one from Kerri is specifically for diabetics.  Plus, my mind is simply mush from trying to get ready to leave for the beach, so I needed some assistance today.  I've got some great guests posts lined up for next week, so enjoy!


What type of diabetes do you have:  type 1 diabetes also known as juvenile diabetes

When were you diagnosed:  December 11, 2006--coming up on 4 years!!!!

What's your current blood sugar:  I just checked and I'm 103 mg/dL, I'm a diabetes commercial!

What kind of meter do you use:  oh my goodness, I actually had to take it out to look, it's a One Touch UltraLink for my Medtronic Minimed 522 insulin pump

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar:  On a good day, 6 (once before each meal and once 2 hours after), but it's usually 8 for waking and sleeping readings, too

What's a "high" number for you:  I cringe at anything over 200 mg/dL

What's do you consider "low":  Below 60 mg/dL is like really low, but I can function in the high 60s.  Don't worry, Constance's alarm is still set at 70 mg/dL.

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater:  apple juice is easiest to chug when I'm really low, but I love me a good Snicker's bar, too  =P

Describe your dream endo:  One that doesn't take a month to sign something and less than an hour to be seen.  I don't mind if they have the bedside manner of Dr. House as long as they keep me alive and are accessible. 

What's your biggest diabetes achievement:  Have you heard of my no-hitterI got one

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear:  Not making to our 50th wedding anniversary.  Seriously, that's my biggest goal and other than a freak accident, diabetes is the only thing that could prevent that. 

Who's on your support team:  My husband, family, and friends (mostly other diabetic friends and members of the DOC).

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime:  I don't know.  I feel like a lot of research is being done in that direction, but in my lifetime the best I will see is an artificial pancreas (basically a pump that thinks on it's own, which is kind of scary, actually). 

What is a "cure" to you:  I guess the artificial pancreas is the closest to a cure for me.  But if I can live a long, happy life despite living it with diabetes, then I'd say I was "cured". 

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is:  "Will you always have it?"  Yes, and there's nothing I can do about that. 

What is the most common misconception about diabetes:  For type 1 diabetes, I'd say the most common misconception is that if we're on a pump or have a CGM, that we're not controlling it enough or we are really bad off.  These tools were developed to help us, even the "good diabetics" are good because of these things. 

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be:  Nothing, I would give it the silent treatment, because that's what it's doing to me.  (Yeah, I'm mature like that.)

Well, that's it.  I'm off for the week!  Enjoy the guest posts next week and I'll try to bring back some stories of my own.  (I'm sure that won't be hard.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.