Watch me lose weight!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stick With It

Dexcom sensor, Day 6.  You can also see the sticky residue from the last sensor and my pump tube.

This poor little guy doesn't get changed out until tomorrow, and he's barely holding on (especially on the right side, I'm not sure it's technically sticking to me anymore).  I am loving Constance's ability to always know what my blood sugar is doing, but the willingness for the sensor to stay on my body has turned into a sticky situation (PUN!). 

When I first saw the right side wanting to detach a little, I tried putting a single bandage over the lip.  But that didn't really do much because the bandage isn't sticky in the middle, so I still had exposure.  Then, per the DOC and their always helpful tweets, I tried some waterproof first-aid tape.  That worked for about 2 days before it started to peel.  Now, I'm just hoping this thing doesn't come off in the middle of the night or when I happen to run into a wall corner (it's bound to happen). 

I'm contemplating my next placement, because I want this thing to be as secure as possible.  Right now it's in the groove between my love handle and my belly button, which is actually nice and indented but not smooth enough for 7 days worth of tape. 

I'm contemplating my next site.  My love handles work the best, but I try to give them a break once in awhile.  I don't want to do it on my thigh because my clothing would rub on it too much.  The ideal place right now would be my arm because I tend to wear mostly sleeveless shirts during the summer.  But am I ready for that?  To have my diabetes exposed to the world in such a manner?  Not that having a pump or a CGM is discrete, but those are just pieces of technology that I "carry" with me.  This thing will be attached to me underneath my skin for the whole world to see.  I'm not sure I'm ready for that or the random questions, yet. 

So, does anyone have any good experiences with keeping a sensor securely attached to you for 7 days or more?  I'm able to keep my pump site secure for its mandatory 3-4 days with the sticky alcohol wipes from Medtronic, but it's tape size is smaller and its lifetime is shorter.  I'm mainly worried about our beach trip in 2 months (Yay!) with the salt water and sand.  I may just get a cast wrap around the sucker for a week and be done with it.  Sexy!

7 comments:

  1. I just got back from Maui last month and lived in the ocean with my Dexcom. Before I left, I went to Walgreen's and got GIANT square band-aids (nicknamed the Bullet Hole Band-Aid by the hubby). I put that over the sensor, then applied waterproof tape AROUND the band-aid. I never once had to worry about it. That thing was literally glued to my body because removing the bandaid/tape HURT! Good luck and enjoy the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One word: Tagaderm. It's the only thing that keeps mine on, sometimes up to 13 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my dd is 10 and she likes to put her pod on her arm. LOL let the world know. anyway, her sensor is very difficult to keep on we use skin tac and that seems to work for 5 or 6 days. oh and she likes to wear her sensor on her back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote for the Tegaderm or Opsite/IV3000. I use these and it keeps my CGM nice and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been using the IV3000 to secure once the sensor starts going...

    And I just discovered that rubbing alcohol and little bit of elbow grease does wonders for the leftover adhesive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband uses SkinTac when he puts it on (See Keri's Blog) and then when it starts to look iffy, he puts clear medical tape over it (cutting a hole for the sensor). Works like a charm! We can get them to go 14 days, no problem (yes, yes, I know ... not approved by the FDA).

    ReplyDelete
  7. SkinTac or Opsite Flexifix.

    ReplyDelete

Due to increase in spam comments, I am requiring all commenters be registered users and every comment be approved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recent Posts

Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor, nurse, certified diabetes educator (CDE) or any medical professional of any kind. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!) Therefore, please do not use any of my postings as medical fact. I am simply a blogger expressing my highs and lows (pun intended) with diabetes. For changes in your medication, exercise regiment, or diet please consult a qualified physician.

Recent Comments

About Me

My photo
My name is Holly and I live in north Alabama with my hubby, two cats, and a dog.